Keeping your fridge fresh and maintaining a hygienic environment for storing cooked and raw food and drinks is important for your family’s health and wellbeing.
While you should do a proper fridge clean as needed, to save time and effort we’ve got a few easy tricks to keep your fridge fresh on the day to day.
So take the hassle out of kitchen-cleaning and check out these simple tips to keep your fridge spotless.
- Clean up any spills or leaks as soon as possible. Spills can cause bad smells, drip onto other foods or go dry and crusty and become harder to clean. Be wary of things that could potentially leak, like open bottles placed on their side or meat and other wet foods wrapped in glad wrap.
- Keep an eye on fruit and vegetables and throw out anything that becomes old or mouldy as soon as possible. Rotten foods can contaminate other items to make sure to toss out before other things get spoiled.
- Fresh fruit and veg aren’t the only things to check, dairy products such as cheese and yoghurt that have an expiry date should be monitored so nasty smells don’t take over the fridge.
- It’s easy for jars, condiments and sauces to be pushed further and further to the back of the fridge, forgotten and never to be seen again! Do a stock take on items that aren’t used as regularly and make sure not to double up when at the supermarket, use what you have before purchasing more.
- Baking soda stored in a container in the fridge can help absorb odours and keep the fridge smelling fresh, or you could try Activated Carbon (fish tank/ aquarium filter) which is available in pet stores.
It’s as easy as that! Do you have any fridge-freshness tips to share? Let us know in the comments below.