AFL Grand Final Day is a national day of celebration and the perfect opportunity to catch up with friends and enjoy great food. However, we’ll be the first to admit that the pressure to host the perfect day can be a little bit overwhelming. But, there’s no need to stress, we’ve put together a list of tips to help ease the pressure and ensure that all your catering needs are sorted so you and your guests can enjoy a great day.
- Firstly, you need to confirm how many people you will be catering for. Write up a list of the guests and work out how much food you will need. It is also handy to make a note of any dietary requirements to make sure you’ve catered for all of your guests.
- If your guests are arriving before lunch, have some nibbles prepared and set aside for their arrival. A cheese platter is a great appertiser and will help tide them over until lunch is ready. You can also set and forget the platter in the morning, store it in the fridge and have it ready to go as soon as your guests arrive.
- Take a trip to your local butcher the day before the game and find out their suggestions on the best cuts of meat, seasoning recommendations. Seal the meat with cling wrap and store it overnight in the refrigerator.
- Once everyone has settled in, fire up the barbeque and start cooking your meat. Once it’s ready you can store it in warmers or keep it in a tray in the oven.
- Salads are always a hit at BBQs. It’s great to give your guests a few salad options. Some of our favourites to prepare include roast vegetable and cous cous salad with mint dressing and a lentil salad with chickpeas, fresh vegetables and herbs, with a lemon dressing. To cut down your time in the kitchen you can make the salads the night before and free up preparation time on the day. Handy Hint: Avoid dressing salads until your ready to serve this will help keep them fresh.
- As a general rule, most guests will bring their own drinks, but to ensure that there is enough for the whole day, purchase some alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks ahead of time and store them in the fridge so the drinks are chilled and ready to be served.
- To help bring the colour of the footy alive, play around with your décor; choose cups and cutlery with colours of both teams playing on the day.
Ensuring a fun and food-filled Grand Final day can be stressful, but by preparing food in advance and storing it in your Liebherr fridge the night before, you can enjoy less time in the kitchen and more time watching the game. All that’s left to ensure a memorable day is to hope that your favourite team wins the premiership!