A crisp pastry shell encloses a silky-smooth “New York style” baked cheesecake, nestled on top of a comforting, classic treacle tart filling. Simple to make simply irresistible on the dessert table.
Prep time – 1 hour
Bake time – 1 hour 35 minutes
For the pastry:
- 300g plain flour
- 100g butter (softened)
- 20g caster sugar
- 1 egg
For the treacle tart filling:
- 300g golden syrup
- 80g breadcrumbs
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
For the cheesecake mix:
- 300g cream cheese
- 100g caster sugar
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 large eggs
- 100ml milk
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Cocoa powder to dust (optional)
- Pre-heat the oven to 180oC fan, line the base of a 6 inch springform or loose bottom cake tin with greaseproof paper
Make the pastry:
- Make the pastry by beating the sugar and butter together, then stir in the flour.
- Add the egg slowly until a dough forms, (you may need an additional spoonful of water if the egg was a little small).
- Wrap and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes, before rolling out to line the cake tin
- Press the pastry into the corners of the cake tin, any tears can be easily patched and trim the top with a sharp knife
- Line the pastry with greaseproof paper and fill with baking beans
- Bake for 15 minutes at 180oC fan
Make the fillings:
- Meanwhile, make the treacle filling by mixing the syrup, breadcrumbs, cinnamon and juice together in a small bowl
- After 15 minutes, remove the pastry from the oven, remove the baking beans and greaseproof paper and spread the treacle tart filling evenly over the base.
- Bake for a further 20 minutes (still at 180oC)
- Make the cheesecake mix – combine the milk and lemon juice in a large mixing bowl and leave to stand for a few minutes until separated. Add the rest of the ingredients (cream cheese, sugar, flour, vanilla, zest and eggs) and stir until combined
- Once the treacle section is baked, remove from the oven and turn the temperature down to 140o
- Pour the cheesecake mix over the treacle mix and bake for 1 hour, a slight wobble should remain.
- Leave to cool in the oven (switched off)
- Remove from the tin, only when completely cool, dust with cocoa (optional)
- Store in the fridge and eat within 3-4 days