In this column, we sometimes share some of the most interesting and unique customer enquiries that have been received via our service channels. These remind our service team, on a daily basis, of the level of importance that our customers place on their Liebherr appliances and it challenges us at many different levels: whether it’s testing our refrigeration and freezing expertise or getting us to think creatively about something new.
There is an old proverb, ‘three removals are as bad as a fire’, meaning: as many things will be damaged in three removals as would be in a fire! To prevent your fingers getting burnt the next time you move house, this blog will tell you how you can transport your beloved refrigerator and freezer from A to B without damage. This happens to be one of the most frequently asked questions fielded by our Customer Service team.
You’re bound to encounter several popular myths about transporting refrigerators. Some people will insist it’s best to lay them down, while others are certain they can only be transported standing up. And what do you do on arrival at your new home? Don’t you have to leave appliance standing for a few hours before switching it back on?
From a technical perspective (and no other yardstick should be used!), Liebherr refrigerators and freezers should always be transported in an upright position and, at most, only slightly tilted. The reason for this is that the compressor bracket is designed to absorb vibrations from the compressor during operation and when the appliance is in an upright position. If the appliance is transported horizontally, vibrations that occur during transport place lateral strain on the bracket, and it can be damaged.
Many customers also ask whether they can switch their refrigerator or freezer back on again as soon as they arrive at their destination. Once again, a variety of conflicting advice is found online. In the case of Liebherr appliances, the answer is short and sweet: Yes! You can switch your Liebherr appliances straight back on after transportation.
The secret to successful moves
If you’re only moving from one floor to another, there isn’t too much to think about: simply unplug the appliance, get a couple of strong helpers to move it, and plug it back in at its new home.
However, when transporting appliances over greater distances, make sure you consider the following:
- Use up as much of the stored food as possible before your move.
- Unplug the appliance ahead of moving so that freezer compartments can defrost.
- Carefully clean the appliance with a pH-neutral cleaner such as water with a dash of washing-up liquid. Warning: we strongly advise you not to clean your appliance using vinegar, as often recommended online, as the acids it contains can damage the inner container’s plastic.
- Remove all glass shelves from the appliance and ensure that they are carefully packaged for transportation.
- Ideally, wrap the appliance in blankets or sheeting to prevent scratches.
- Always transport refrigerators and freezers in an upright position and tilt only slightly.
- Secure the appliance with straps to prevent it tipping over.
- Tape the appliance door to prevent it from opening during transportation.
- If possible, protect the appliance from any strong vibrations.
- At your destination, use a spirit level to optimally reposition the appliance.
- As already mentioned, you can switch the appliance back on immediately following transportation.
Please note: these tips apply only to Liebherr appliances. Hopefully, if you follow our advice, moving should be that little bit less stressful and you will soon be enjoying your refrigerator and freezer at your new home.